Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from May, 2014

Gona Chiefs

The Gonas or Konas ( 1190 AD - 1294 AD ), of Haihaya descent, are the feudatories of Kakatiyas and ruled over tracts around Raichur with Vardhamanapuram (Mahabubnagar) as capital.  The main centres of this Kingdom are Vardhamanpuram and Budapuram (Bhoothpur). Claiming descent from Kartaviryarjuna and also lorship over Mahishmati. Gona Kata Bhupati Gona Kata, a minister of Kakatiya Ganapati, was a warrior whose feet are said to have been worshipped by his foes. Rudra Narendra Buddha I Vithaia Raja Gona Budha Reddy Kakatiya king Pratapa Rudra of Warrangal gave land grants to clear forests. The Gona family, headed by Immadi Reddy, was responsible for the eastern section of the doab where Gadwal became established.  Gona Budda Reddy had 3 sons and 1 daughter. Gona Ganapa Reddy( also known as Gona Ganna Reddy), Gona Kacha Reddy, Gona Vitalanatha and Kappambhika. Kacha Reddy and Vitalanatha Reddy were poets, who penned to complete the Ranganatha Ramayanam started by their father, Gona Budda

Induluri Chiefs

Family of Induluri Chiefs more or less the whole of Vengi and beyond  the Godavari and protected Kakatiya Kingdom for a long time. Nana Gaura Devotee of Siva and a resident of the village Induluru, after which the family got its name. Migrated to Hanamkonda. Peddamalla and Pinnamalla (sons of Nana Gaura) Served Kakatiya King Rudradeva as ministers. When Rudradeva shifted the capital from Hanamkonda to Warangal, he made Peddamalla Commander in chief and Chinnamalla chief accountant. Soma-mantri and Peda Ganna (sons of Peddamalla) Under Kakatiya King Ganapatideva, led expedition to eastern parts of  Andhra namely Gogulanadu, Kolanu and Kalinga.  Kolanu in Vengimandala ruled by Kesavadeva was defeated by soma-mantri and annexed his territory to Kakatiya Kingdom and  was appointed as the governor of Kolanu for his services. 1291 AD : Manuma Ganna (son of Soma-mantri) Served under Kakatiya Rudramadevi as commander and fought with  Kayastha chief Ambadeva. The first Kakatiya offensive took

Kayastha Chiefs

Kayasthas ( 1239 AD - 1297 AD )  were the most powerful of all the Kakatiya chiefs ruling Panugallu. It is believed that these chiefs originally belonged to a class of warriors of Western India. This view has been further supported by inscription discovered in Chityala village in the Nalgonda district.  They were originally stationed by the king Ganapatideva at Panugallu as the governors of that part of the kingdom, Horsemanship and commanding of the cavalry were their specialized branches of war craft and most likely Ganapatideva brought the for the particular purpose of training his horsed and build up the cavalry force. In the history of the Kakatiyas the Kayastha chiefs thus played a prominent role both as loyal subordinates and traitors. 1239 AD - 1258 AD : Ganagaya Sahini Capital : Kroccherla (Eruva-73 region) Kayastha Chief Ganagaya Sahini was ruling the region extending from Panugallu in Nalgonda District to Valluru in the Cuddapah district and has the title of Gandapendara. 12

Cheraku Chiefs

The Cheraku Chiefs ( c.1050 AD to 1323 AD)  Similar to the names of other families of chiefs this family also got its name after the small town Cheraku in Eruva  region   and  were subordinate/feudatory rulers of  Kandur Cholas and later  Kakatiyas from around .  Capitals : Jammulur (Nalgonda) and Amarabad (Mahabubnagar) regions.  The first capital of Cheraku chiefs was Jammulur, tirumalagiri talk, Nalgonda District.  Cheraku family is the one which played an important role in the affairs of the Kakatlya empires and inscriptions embodying the fact come from Kurnool, Nalgonda, Mahaboobnagar and Krsna districts.  They served as subordinates under Kakatiya Rudradeva, Mahadeva, Ganapatideva, Rudrama devi and Prataparudra periods.  Devarakonda of Nalgonda district, Cherakupalli village of Nakrekal taluq were their native places.  Jammuluru branch Cheruku rulers of Jammuluru have an area comprising of Tungaturti Devarakonda, Huzurnagar, Nakrekal, Motkur, Kodad, and Miryalaguda taluqs of Nalg

Natavadi Chiefs

The Natavadis or Natavatis ruled over Natavadi vishaya from c.1050 AD - 1269 AD with capital at Madapalli (Khammam).  1101 AD : Their earliest inscription found in Narsampet in Warangal District. Madapalli has been identified with the village Madapalle near Madhira, Khammama district, which gains support from the Nidikonda inscription. So there is no probability of its identity with the village Madepalle near Ellore. Natavadi chiefs, were originally subordinates of Western Chalukyas. Later on, they shifted their loyalty to the Kakatiyas. c.1050 AD : Beta Kshanipalaka figuring in the Inugurti inscriptions was probably the earliest Natavadi chief known so far and father of Durgaraja. He may be placed tentatively around 1050 AD. 1104 AD - 1157 AD : Durga   He issued records of him own. His earliest inscription is from Nidikonda in Nalgonda district dated in the 29th year of C.V. era. Corresponding to December 24, 1104 AD. Durga is mentioned as Dugga and Duggaraja in the record and as D