Skip to main content

Kondapur Museum

Kondapur Museum (Late.17.33' N 78.1'E) is located on a small hillock about one km south of the village of Kondapur in Medak District, Telangana, around 70 kms from Hyderabad.

It is a Pre-Satavhana site dating back to 200 BC - 200 AD.
Capital of Mahisamandala
Discovered a 25-ft high mound spread over 100 acres which they presume to be a Buddhist stupa with myriad segments throwing light on the Buddhist link of the present Telangana region. 

One of the fortified urban settlements of Satavahanas. 


Proved to be an important kshetra of Brahmanical faith particularly Sakti cult of that time which was clearly shown through the exposed structures and other associated findings such as coins and sealings. 

The excavation yielded a large number of glass vessels indicating Roman influence that indicate the existence of a separate settlement of Romans in Kondapur who had brisk contact and trade with India. 

If a stupa is unearthed as hoped by the ASI, this will be the first Buddhist site in Telangana, firmly establishing the belief among historians that this region too was part of the Satavahana empire that extended into present Maharashtra and that Kondapur, indeed, was a city that had a direct connection with Paithan.

The stupas found elsewhere in the State, barring the Amaravathi ones, occupied smaller extents. 

The exhibits from this museums are basically retrieved from an ancient mound locally known as Kotagadda (Fort Mound) located at a distance of one km east of the museum.

Nearly 2,000 coins and many coin-moulds, ornaments made of gold and semi-precious stones, beads and terracotta figurines have been recovered from the surface area itself. 

A valuable find was a gold coin of the Roman king Augustus.

The historians’ team is of the view that ancient Kondapur city was larger than Amaravathi skirted by a mud-fort. 

A lake that possibly served the city as its water source, lies now by the side of the mound. 

While the fort’s mud-wall is visible even now, most of the other remains of the city lie buried under the earth, as a result of the earthquakes and catastrophes through ages.

Any excavation of the agricultural fields that covered these remains now, are sure to reveal different facets of the buried city, says Mr. Das.

Several structural remains have already been identified, some of them belonging to Chaitya halls/monasteries. 

Furnaces, floors, workplaces and storerooms have also been discovered indicating a rich industrial past. It is assumed that ceramic industry thrived in ancient Kondapur.

The site was first explored by the famous Archaeologist Mr. Henry Cousens in the early years of the 19th Century. Subsequently the Department of Archaeology of the erstwhile Hyderabad State under H.E.H. the Nizam of Hyderabad excavated this mound for a couple of seasons from 1940. A small museum was established with the excavated material over the ancient site itself which was later shifted to the present building. The museum came under the administrative control of Archaeological Survey of India in 1952.

The Archaeological Museum, Kondapur houses a rich collection of minor antiquities unearthed from the digs of 1940-1942. The museum has a Central hall and two more galleries in enclosed corridors.

In the main hall a good number of antiquities are displayed in wall showcases representing different facets of material culture of the early historic period such as pottery, terracotta figurines, bone and shell objects, metal objects, talismans, pendants, beads, inscribed pottery and coins etc. brick tiles, sharpening stones, moulded bricks and designed panels.

In the other galleries, prehistoric tools and fossils are exhibited. Apart from these objects, a couple of sculptures, a Buddhapada, a standing image of four handed Vishnu carved on a door jamb and two inscribed storage jars are other attractive pieces in this gallery.

Entrance Fee Rs.2/- for visitors above 15 years
Museum Hours 1000 A.M. to 0500 p.m.

Free entrance to children below 15 years.
Museum remain closed on Friday



http://asi.nic.in/asi_museums_kondapur.asp
http://www.panoramio.com/user/6860561/tags/kondapur%20museum
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-andhrapradesh/historical-site-discovered-at-kondapur/article1177396.ece



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kakatiya Dynasty

895 AD / 1136 AD - 1323 AD Founder : Venna Capitals : Hanumakonda, Warangal Languages : Telugu Religion : Jainism, Hinduism (Saivism) Royal Emblem : Garuda, Varaha Kakatiyas are descendants of Karikala Chola King of Durjaya clan, who initially started as vassals of the Chalukyas in India, and later emerged as a ruling dynasty, with their capital at Kakatipura (probably named after the village diety, Kakatamma) or present day Warangal, in the state of Telangana, India. Kakatiyas were the devotees of Goddess Kakati. They were said to originate from Chaturthakula and they allied themselves by matrimony to chiefs of the Shudra caste, although in many documents related to gifts given in the Brahmins, their ancestry has been traced to the Solar dynasty of the Ikshvaku kshatriyas. The Kakatiya period was rightly called the brightest period of the Telugu history. The entire Telugu speaking area was under the kings who spoke Telugu and encouraged Telugu. They establish

Krishna River

Origin    : Mahabaleswar (Western Ghats), Mahasrashtra. Length    : 1400 km (870 mi) Drainage  :  258948 km    Elevation :  1,337 m (4,386 ft) Outflow   : Bay of Bengal States    : Maharashtra (305), Karnataka (483), Telangana - 416 and Andhra Pradesh - 485(612). The River Krishna forms border between the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh from Srisailam to Pulichintala for about 290 kms flows passing through NSP Dam Telangana Length    : 416 km Start     :  Krishna Village in Maganoor mandal, Narayanpet district. End       :  Vajinepally , Nalgonda. Districts : Mahabubnagar ( 300 km) , Nalgonda (116 km) The Krishna River is the fourth-biggest river in terms of water inflows and river basin area in India, after the Ganga, Godavari and Brahmaputra.  It flows east to Wai and then in a generally southeasterly direction past Sangli to the border of Karnataka state. There the river turns east and flows in an irregular course across north-central Karnataka and then to the s

Telangana Literature

The earliest known Literature of Telangana is around 940 AD during the rule of  Chalukyas of Vemulvada who patronized Sanskrit, Kannada and Telugu.  575 A.D - The Kalamalla inscription unearthed on the premises of Chennakesava-Siddeshwara temple at Kalamalla village in Yerraguntla Mandal Kadapa district A.P. is considered to be the first one written entirely in the Telugu language and put up by Renati Chola King Erikal Mutthuraju. 10th Century Adi Kavi Pampa (902 A.D - 975 A.D)   was court poet of Arikesari II (930 - 955 AD).  The Chalukya King of Vemulawada, Arikesari-II asks Pampa to write an epic to immortalize him. Pampa takes up the work with utmost earnestness. Within one year, he creates Kannada’s greatest epic ‘Vikramarjuna Vijaya aka ‘Pampa Bharatha. Arikesari-II is greatly pleased with the work of Pampa. He bestows him with an honorific ‘Kavithagunarnava’ and also gifts him with an agrahara called Dharmapura.  Pampa’s samadhi (grave) was discovered in 1970 in the town of

Kuravi Veerabhadra Swamy Temple

Historic Sri Veerabhadra Swamy temple is in the Kuravi mandal of the Mahabubabad district in Telangana State, India. This temple is dedicated to Lord Veerabhadra swamy,who is fierce looking Diety with three eyes and ten hands. According to local lore, the Kuravi Veerabhadra Swamy temple was said to have been built during 900 AD by Bheema Raju of Vengi Chalukya dynasty. Later the renovation of temple was taken up by Kakatiya ruler Betharaju I. The reference of this temple has also made by the famous traveller ‘Marko-Poli’ as it stood as the capital of Vengi Chalukya Dynasty. As Kakatiya kings were known to be followers of Lord Shiva, they constructed several temples across the empire and improved those already existed.

Vykuntapuram Temple (Sangareddy)

Located in Sangareddy. Pilgrims from different regions do come here for darshan of Sri Srimannarayana swamy ( Lord Venkateshwara). The Ambiance in the temple makes you to feel like you are in thirupathi temple. The Idol of Lord Venkateshwara swamy is similar to the one in thirumala with 3 muka dhwaras. Especially during Saturdays, Public holidays , and on festivals days will be fully packed with the public who come for darshan. One must visit the temple for its beautiful and peacefull ambiance when you come across this sangareddy city. JAI SRIMANARAYANA CHARITABLE TRUST Sri Vaikuntapuram Sangareddy shivaru, Medak Telangana-502001 Phone:  08455-275555, 201080 Cell:  +91 8125615558 http://svpd-srd.org/gallery/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangareddi