Skip to main content


Kaulas Fort

Kaulas or Kowlas Fort is located in Kaulas Village, Jukkal mandal, Kamareddy District, Telangana State, India , at the border of three states – Telangana, Karnataka and Maharashtra.

Kaulas or Koulas village, which holds the illustrious past like a jewel in the crown, presently a gram panchayat, falls under Jukkal mandal. However, locals say that the fort has been empty for decades now but sees many visitors.

In the past there kingdoms Kaulas, Bodhan and Nizamabad were called Indur.

Spread across 6 sq km with two entrances, Kaulas is perhaps one of the largest royal forts in the state. The mega fort sits majestically on the outskirts of Kaulas village, less than 1 km from the main village, and is surrounded by the Kaulas nala (stream).

According to historians, it was built in Indra IV’s period of the Rashtrakuta dynasty in their political capital and was later captured by the Chalukyas of the Kalyani dynasty in the third quarter of the 10th century before it was captured by the Kakatiyas in the 12th century.

According to the state Heritage department, the Kakatiya insignia is inscribed on the fort’s gateways.

The Kakatiya kingdom, which ruled from present day Warangal, held the Kaulas Fort till 1323 AD, a period more or less parallel to the one and only Kakatiya woman ruler, Rani Rudrama Devi. Later, the Kaulas region is said to have come under the rule of the Bahmanis, Qutb Shahis, Yadavas, Naikwaries, Mughals, Devagiri, Kalyani, Marathas, etc and finally under the Asaf Jahis (Nizams) (1724 to 1948)

The main gate of the fort can be reached by traversing a path through agricultural fields and then crossing the Kaulas nala. As one takes the wide stairs, a cannon welcomes us in less than 3 feet. Multi-tier rock cut layers and several bastions in each corner is said to have made the fort unassailable by enemies.

The massive fortress is home to more than 50 bastions, with Hussaini, Mallika, Mula and Kadika Burj being the prominent ones. Three temples (Venkateswara, Ramalayam and Ganapati Mahadev temple) in the complex, which were constructed under different dynasties, have rare sculptures of goddesses.

A strong defence mechanism is visible at the fort; multi-layered walls, tall bastions and moats along the fort shows how unconquerable it once must have been.

“The different structures in the fort show semi-Dravidian and Indo-Islamic architecture as the fort was ruled by different dynasties,” Kumaraswamy says about fort’s architecture.

A view from any bastion of the fort shows the entire Kaulas nala and the miles of forests that the fort is situated amidst.

The RamaTemple, built of black and white basalt stone in the 17th century, is adorned with exquisite carvings and was restored in the past decade. The Kasikund Temple, built by Rajput kings, has a fresh water spring. There are also temples dedicated to Hanuman and Balaji. It is said that there were about 10 cannons inside the fort though later, most were shifted to police stations in Nanded and Bichkunda. However, four still remain – the most notable amongst which is the exquisitely crafted Navgazi tope (Hindi for cannon) atop a bastion. There are two natural reservoirs inside the fort, which once provided water to its inhabitants.

There is an Ashtabuji Mata (also known as Jagadamba Mata) Temple behind the fort, where the Rajput rulers went for benediction before embarking on a battle. There are also two mosques in the surrounding forest. As you exit to the main highway near Koulas Fort and drive towards Hyderabad, you will come across a picturesque lake, a few kilometres ahead, on your left. The desolate water body is a pleasant place to break a long journey.


Chalukyas of Badami

In 1303, the Delhi Sultanate launched a military campaign against the Kakatiya kingdom. This resulted in the capture of the strategic fortress of Kaulas.

1325 AD – 1368 AD : Musunuri Nayaks
In 1347 the Bahmani kingdom was established by Allauddin Bahman Shah and soon Kapaya was involved in a struggle with that kingdom over the fort of Kaulas

In 1361, he gifted to the Bahmani Sultan Mohammed Shah I the Turquoise throne of Warangal, made during the Delhi rule, as part of a treaty agreement

Many battles were fought between the Bahmanis and Musunuri Chiefs in this village

1350 AD – 1518 AD : Bahmani Sultanate 
1350: Bahman Shah led his first campaign against Warangal in 1350 and forced its ruler Kapaya Nayaka to cede to him the fortress of Kaulas.

1355: Vinayaka Deva, the son of Kaapaya was sent to free the fort of Kaulas helped by Bukka Raya, the king of Vijayanagar. However, eventually he was killed in a disastrous manner by Bahmani Force under Bahadur Khan

1518 AD – 1687 AD : Qutbshahis / Golconda Sultanate
Under Jamsheed’s rule, Jagdeva Rao rose to an eminent position. Jamshed acquired the tract round the fort of Kaulas , pushed Ali Barid into the Kaulas fort which was then ruled by Jagadeva Rao the chief of Naikwaris (Hindu soldiery).

1687 - 1724 A.D : Mughal Empire
Aurangzeb appointed two Kiladars, Khuni Khan and Ikhlas Khan who constructed two big mosques at the fort.

Two mosques and temples are seen in a dilapidated condition and covered by large, overgrown bushes. Rani mahal, Elephant well (Enugula bavi) and other wells are the highlights of the fort. Several bastions are in a damaged or deteriorating situation.

1724 - 1948 : Asaf Jahis 
Raja Gopal Singh Gaur
The Nizams appointed Raja Gopal Singh Gaur, a Kshatriya or Rajput, as the Chief of Kaulas in the 1720s and his successors held this fort till 1948 when the Indian Union over took Hyderabad state. It was during this time that the Jagdamba Bhawani cannon or the Navgarji tope, which was the largest (10 feet long) cannon in the world of its time, was said to have made by Raja Gopal Singh in the year 1728.

While there are tales about Raja Gopal Singh’s bravery and warfare tactics, there is also ambiguity about his identity.

Raja Deep Singh
Kaulas was always a crucial region irrespective of who was ruling. It’s also said that from a military point of view as well the Kaulas samsthanam (dominion) was strong. A successor of Raja Gopal Singh, Raja Deep Singh, is said to have participated in the 1857 Indian Rebellion from this fort and was persecuted for the same.

Raja Durjan Singh
The last chief, Raja Durjan Singh, died prematurely and childless. In 1915 it came directly under the rule of the Nizam.The annual revenue of the fiefdom was then 22,517 rupees.

1915 : Kiladar Maulvi Muhammad Jamaluddin Sheikh
Kiladar (Kiladar-e-Kaulas) Maulvi Muhammad Jamaluddin Sheikh, a zamindar (landlord) of Turkish descent belonging to the Barlas clan and a descendant of Muhammad Sheikh who was the great-great-grandson of Emir Timur through his son Umar Sheikh Mirza. His sons held the position of Kiladar until the 1947 Partition of India. 

Maulvi Jamaluddin Sheikh had 3 sons named Moinuddin Cowlas, Khwaja Karimuddin Sheikh & Khwaja Nizamuddin Sheikh who after Partition of India moved to Pakistan.

Situated around 200 km from Hyderabad, one can reach the fort by taking National Highway 161 to Jukkal, from where Kaulas village is less than 20 km. The fort can also be approached via NH44 through Kamareddy and Banswada.


Popular posts from this blog

Dakshin Ke Badrinath Temple, Hyderabad

Dakshin Badrinath replica of original Badrinath Temple popularly known Badrivishal Dham temple is located 40 kms from hyderabad in Plot No. 33/34, Sai Baba Enclave, GPR Housing Venture, Banda Mailaram, Mulug, Medichal District, Telangana 502336, India. This temple for lord Badrinarayan has been constructed by Uttarakhand Kalyankari Sanstha, a registered society formed by people of Uttarakhand residing or serving in Hyderabad. The two-storey temple occupies 6,750 square feet and stands 50 feet tall, same as the temple in Badrinath, Uttarakhand. The ground floor has a hall which can seat 350 people. On the first floor is the idol of Lord Badrinath. It will also have idols of Lord Ganesh, Kuber, Balram, Godeess Lakshmi, Nar-Narayan, Narada, and Garuda. Separate temples have been built for Lord Ganesh, Goddess Lakshmi and the Navagrahas in the premises. The temple's elevation will be 100% as the original Badrinath temple in Uttarakhand which will be a replica of Shri Badri Vishal Dham

Telangana Rivers

Telangana has 2 main rivers Godavari and Krishna , which flows from West to East. The Godavari River is the second longest river in India after the river Ganges and the longest river in Peninsular India. The Krishna River or Kistna also called Krishnaveni is the third-longest river in India, after the Ganges and Godavari and the second longest river of the Peninsular India after Godavari.  Godavari River  - The river is also known as Dakshin Ganga and Gautami.  Origin : Western Ghats at Triambak near Nasik in Maharashtra Outflow : Bay of Bengal Elevation : 1067 meters (3500 ft) Length : 1,465 km (910 mi) Drainage : 312812  sq km States : Maharashtra, Telangana, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, Puducherry (Yanam) and Telangana Length in Telangana: 600 km Start in Telangana: Kandakurthy, Renjal Mandal, Nizamabad district End in Telangana: Bhadrachalam in Bhadradri Kothagudem district Drainage in Telangana: 58,808 sq km                           Districts :  Nizamabad, Nirmal,  Jagitial,  Ma

Kakatiya Dynasty

c. 750 AD / 1158 AD - 1323 AD Founder : Venna Capitals : Anmakonda (Hanumakonda), Orugallu / Ekasilanagara   (Warangal) Languages : Telugu was the preferred language, Sanskrit, Kannada Religion : Jainism, Hinduism (Saivism) Royal Emblem : Garuda, Varaha  1149 AD : Tailapa-III or Kumara Tailapa was defeated by Kakatiya Prola II around 1149 AD. 1158 AD : The earliest extant record from Rudradeva's reign as sovereign power is the 1158 CE Daksharamam inscription issued by his minister Inangala Brammireddi.  1163 AD  Anumakonda inscription of Rudradeva alias  Prataparudra  I is another record that describes the Kakatiyas as a sovereign power. Kakatiyas are descendants of Karikala Chola King of Durjaya clan, who initially started as vassals of the Chalukyas in India, and later emerged as a ruling dynasty, with their capital at Kakatipura (probably named after the village diety, Kakatamma) or present day Warangal, in the state of Telangana, India. Madhavavarman, an

Muthyam / Mutyala Dhara Waterfalls

Muthyam / Mutyam / Mutyala / Muthyala Dhara or Jalapatham or Veerabadhram Waterfalls is located near Veerabadaravaram village of Venkatapuram Mandal, Jayashankar Bhupalpally District, Telangana, India, is the country's third-highest waterfall. Flowing from a height of 700 metres, the water is blown by strong winds, giving it an appearance of a long snake. Although the lack of basic facilities at the site makes it unfavourable for trekking, tourists and nature enthusiasts flock to the area, as they can take a 10-kilometre walk among nature to reach the waterfall, due to the lack of proper roads. The Bheemunipadam waterfall, meanwhile, is famous for its rainbows during sunrise and sunset. It also has a 10-kilometre-long cave that tourists can explore. The water falls from a height of around 70 feet, forming a 200-foot-deep pool in a semi-circular enclosure. As per local traditions, it is believed that bathing in the waterfall can be therapeutic as the water mixes with rare medicinal

Krishna River

The Krishna River or Kistna also called Krishnaveni is the third-longest river in India, after the  Ganges  and  Godavari  and  the second longest  river of the Peninsular India after Godavari. It is also the fourth-largest in terms of water inflows and river basin area in India, after the Ganges, Godavari and Brahmaputra. Origin : Jor village, Mahabaleswar (Western Ghats), Satara district, Mahasrashtra State, India. Length : 1400 km (869.9 mi) Drainage : 258948 km Elevation : 1,337 m (4,386 ft) Outflow : Bay of Bengal, near Hamsaladeevi village in Diviseema, Koduru Mandal, Krishna District,   Andhra Pradesh State, India. States : Maharashtra 305 km (190 mi), Karnataka 483 km (300 mi),  Telangana and Andhra Pradesh 612 km (380 mi). Length in Telangana: Around 430 km Start in Telangana: Thangadigi village, Krishna Mandal, Narayanpet district. End in Telangana: Vajinepally, MellaCheruvu Mandal, Suryapet district. Telangana Districts : Narayanpet, Jogulambha Gadwal, Wanapar