Skip to main content

Dornakal Church

Dornakal, one of the sleepy towns in the district, is known for two things. One is the railway junction
which connects South India; the other is the Epiphany cathedral of the Dornakal diocese.

The Cathedral Church of Epiphany of Our Lord, popularly known as Dornakal Church that celebrated its centenary two years ago, is still holding light for millions of poor spread across the country.

“The construction of this church was initiated in 1912 and it was dedicated in 1945. This was initiated by the first Anglican bishop, V.S. Asaraiah, who is more popular in the United Kingdom for his missionary work,” says the Bishop of Dornakal Diocese, Vadapally Prasada Rao.

But unfortunately he died in an accident in 1945. It was here that the movement for Church of South India began and fructified in 1947. 

He strongly believed in forming a communion of our own instead of the Anglican Communion and strived for it.  Ever since he came to Dornakal as a missionary, he strove for the poor. Making a modest beginning, the Dornakal Church now runs a degree college, six high schools, including one for the hearing and speech impaired, 25 hostels and child care centres, 11 primary schools, the St. Mary’s Hospital at Khammam and the Bishop Whitehead Hospital at Dornakal. It is into many social welfare projects as well.

“There is lot of demand for admission to the hostel and school for the speech and hearing impaired, and we have people from all religions here — Hindus, Christians and Muslims. We do not go by caste or religion but only by need,” Right Reverend Bishop Prasada Rao says.

Through its architecture and activities, this church has endeared itself to many. It is a symbol of hope for the tribal people and the poor cutting across religions. The architecture of the church reflects the essence of all religions — the front portion is similar to temples with choultry-like structure; its two minarets resemble a mosque and the interior architecture is typically Christian. On a closer look, it resembles the Madurai Meenakshi temple, certain portions of which have been replicated here.

The church is famous worldwide, as the only church which is constructed with indo-saracenic architecture where religious structures of various religions can be seen. And also because of its architect Bishop Vedanayagam Samuel Azariah who is also the first Indian bishop in the churches of the Anglican Communion. He is considered as a pioneer of Christian ecumenism in India.

Christmas is celebrated on a grand note here. People from across the globe visit the church and take part in the prayers this time of the year.

The diocese mainly covers the pastorates in Warangal, Nalgonda, and East Godavari and Khammam districts and also has churches in Odisha state constituting to about 1,000 churches. The diocese also runs missionary schools and colleges under it.

The present bishop of the church, Rt. Rev. Dr Vadapalli Prasada Rao, said the church is run completely with Indian funds since its construction and to this day does not receive any foreign funds to keep Bishop Azariah’ idea of running churches in India independent of the Anglican Communion. With Christmas just few days away, the bishop, in his Christmas message hoped for peace in the nation and explained that God created Jesus to restore divinity to his creation.

The Dornakal Church is affiliated to the Church of Canterbury in England. It does not receive any foreign funds but raises it through local charity and donations to run its activities.



http://www.deccanchronicle.com/151221/nation-current-affairs/article/epiphany-church-stands-pride-dornakal-town


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diocese_of_Dornakal_of_the_Church_of_South_India

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Krishna River

Origin    : Mahabaleswar (Western Ghats), Mahasrashtra. Length    : 1400 km (870 mi) Drainage  :  258948 km    Elevation :  1,337 m (4,386 ft) Outflow   : Bay of Bengal States    : Maharashtra (305), Karnataka (483), Telangana - 416 and Andhra Pradesh - 485(612). The River Krishna forms border between the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh from Srisailam to Pulichintala for about 290 kms flows passing through NSP Dam Telangana Length    : 416 km Start     :  Krishna Village in Maganoor mandal, Narayanpet district. End       :  Vajinepally , Nalgonda. Districts : Mahabubnagar ( 300 km) , Nalgonda (116 km) The Krishna River is the fourth-biggest river in terms of water inflows and river basin area in India, after the Ganga, Godavari and Brahmaputra.  It flows east to Wai and then in a generally southeasterly direction past Sangli to the border of Karnataka state. There the river turns east and flows in an irregular course across north-central Karnataka and then to the s

Kakatiya Dynasty

895 AD / 1136 AD - 1323 AD Founder : Venna Capitals : Hanumakonda, Warangal Languages : Telugu Religion : Jainism, Hinduism (Saivism) Royal Emblem : Garuda, Varaha Kakatiyas are descendants of Karikala Chola King of Durjaya clan, who initially started as vassals of the Chalukyas in India, and later emerged as a ruling dynasty, with their capital at Kakatipura (probably named after the village diety, Kakatamma) or present day Warangal, in the state of Telangana, India. Kakatiyas were the devotees of Goddess Kakati. They were said to originate from Chaturthakula and they allied themselves by matrimony to chiefs of the Shudra caste, although in many documents related to gifts given in the Brahmins, their ancestry has been traced to the Solar dynasty of the Ikshvaku kshatriyas. The Kakatiya period was rightly called the brightest period of the Telugu history. The entire Telugu speaking area was under the kings who spoke Telugu and encouraged Telugu. They establish

Telangana Literature

The earliest known Literature of Telangana is around 940 AD during the rule of  Chalukyas of Vemulvada who patronized Sanskrit, Kannada and Telugu.  575 A.D - The Kalamalla inscription unearthed on the premises of Chennakesava-Siddeshwara temple at Kalamalla village in Yerraguntla Mandal Kadapa district A.P. is considered to be the first one written entirely in the Telugu language and put up by Renati Chola King Erikal Mutthuraju. 10th Century Adi Kavi Pampa (902 A.D - 975 A.D)   was court poet of Arikesari II (930 - 955 AD).  The Chalukya King of Vemulawada, Arikesari-II asks Pampa to write an epic to immortalize him. Pampa takes up the work with utmost earnestness. Within one year, he creates Kannada’s greatest epic ‘Vikramarjuna Vijaya aka ‘Pampa Bharatha. Arikesari-II is greatly pleased with the work of Pampa. He bestows him with an honorific ‘Kavithagunarnava’ and also gifts him with an agrahara called Dharmapura.  Pampa’s samadhi (grave) was discovered in 1970 in the town of

Kuravi Veerabhadra Swamy Temple

Historic Sri Veerabhadra Swamy temple is in the Kuravi mandal of the Mahabubabad district in Telangana State, India. This temple is dedicated to Lord Veerabhadra swamy,who is fierce looking Diety with three eyes and ten hands. According to local lore, the Kuravi Veerabhadra Swamy temple was said to have been built during 900 AD by Bheema Raju of Vengi Chalukya dynasty. Later the renovation of temple was taken up by Kakatiya ruler Betharaju I. The reference of this temple has also made by the famous traveller ‘Marko-Poli’ as it stood as the capital of Vengi Chalukya Dynasty. As Kakatiya kings were known to be followers of Lord Shiva, they constructed several temples across the empire and improved those already existed.

Vykuntapuram Temple (Sangareddy)

Located in Sangareddy. Pilgrims from different regions do come here for darshan of Sri Srimannarayana swamy ( Lord Venkateshwara). The Ambiance in the temple makes you to feel like you are in thirupathi temple. The Idol of Lord Venkateshwara swamy is similar to the one in thirumala with 3 muka dhwaras. Especially during Saturdays, Public holidays , and on festivals days will be fully packed with the public who come for darshan. One must visit the temple for its beautiful and peacefull ambiance when you come across this sangareddy city. JAI SRIMANARAYANA CHARITABLE TRUST Sri Vaikuntapuram Sangareddy shivaru, Medak Telangana-502001 Phone:  08455-275555, 201080 Cell:  +91 8125615558 http://svpd-srd.org/gallery/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangareddi