Skip to main content

Ramagiri Fort and Hills

The Fort located on the RAMAGIRI HILLS, is near the BEGUMPET Village
in KAMANPUR MANDAL in Peddapalli district. The Fort was built within a thickly forested area.

The hills and surroundings here are astounding to watch and contain many herbs of medicinal importance.

The Fort is nestled on the top of picturesque Ramagiri hillock, surrounded by eye-feasting greenay, and provides a magnificent view of the confluence of the Manair and Godavari Rivers.

The Fort is 20 kms from Peddapalli and 65km away from Karimnagar. This fort is on the way from Karimnagar to Manthani. One needs to follow the Karimnagar-Manthani road till Begumpet X roads and take right diversion to reach the Begumpet village. 

The fort is around 2Kms from there and can be reached only on foot. The nearest railway station is 'Peddapalli' which is located on the NewDelhi-Kazipet line. Ramagiri Khilla is around 20Km from there.


Ramagiri Fort, often referred as Ratnagarbha has as ancient fort believed to be used by Satavahanas and Kakatiyas as their Military establishment. This fort is remarked as the unconquerable fort in Telangana region. 


The Ramagiri Fort is built in stone with a good number of bastions and is spread across a huge area across the hill. Because of the thick greenery and the beautiful view, which is pleasing to the human mind and the eye this place is also called as Aaram-Giri, Hill of rest or leisure.

In the medieval period, RAMAGIRI KILLA was built by the KAKATIYAS of Warangal during the 12th century. Later, it was controlled by the QUTUB SAHI SULTANATE (1518 — 1687). In 1656, the Ruler of Golconda, Abdulla Qutb Shah, gifted the fort to his son-in-law who was Aurangzeb’s son. The fort came under the control of the British Raj in 1791. It is also said that for Kalidasa, one of the greatest Sanskrit poets, motivation to compose his magnum opus MEGHADUTA a lyrical poem, was Ramagiri Fort.

Built in stone, the fort has many bastions and occupies a large area of a few square kilometres, and the bastions are in octagonal shape. The fort had been fitted with four forge-welded cannons on the masonry battlements which were built to a height of 39ft. as part of the fort walls. It has been noted that the mud plaster which covered some of the structures in which layers was a combination of mud, lime, reeds, hair of animals and even blood of animals.


The fort was under the control of Gundaraja of Manthani and Edaraja of Ramagundam. They were defeated by the Kakati Prola II and the entire area of Polavasa, Manthani and Ramagundam were under the control of Kakatiyas. After the fall of Kakatiyas, Anapothanayaka of Racherla Padmanayaka family occupied Orugallu and appointed Muppabhupala as the ruler of Sabbinadu with his capital at Ramagiri during 14th century A.D. The Bahamani Sultan Ahmed shah I (1422-1436 A.D.) invaded Telangana region in 1433 A.D. and occupied the Ramagiri fort. After Qutb Shahis of Golkonda the fort was under the control of Mughals and finally Asafjahis.

There are many important structures on the hill fort viz. Sitaramalayam, Ramasthapita Lingam, The footprints of Rama and Janiki Mata, Sitaram Kolanu (Well), mosques, tombs and a good number of wells on the hill. Asvasala (Horse stable) Gajasala (Elephant stable), Cherasala (prison), Durbar hall (Royal court), cannons and cannon balls etc are also located on the hillock. The ruins are named Pratapa Rudruni kota, Chitrakota, Tratikota and Nimmakota. Interestingly, there are many wells in the fort, which have been constructed by successive rulers. Some of them have unique names such as Topubavi, Nallakayyabavi, Pasarubavi, Haribavi, Achchammabavi, Ammagaribavi

Ramagiri also has a temple of Sita and Rama with a Linga(incarnation of Lord Shiva) believed to be installed by Lord Rama. You can see the foot prints of Lord Rama & Sita here, supporting the claim that both stayed here for some time during there visit. Other attractions here are Sita’s vermilion box, Ganga Gouri wells, Gouri gundam, Brahma gundam, twin horses of Matsya kachpa, Mallvanam and Brindavanam.

The Ramagiri Forest in the area of the Fort is an important is an important source for medicinal plants. Large numbers of the locals collect the plants and offer them for sale in nearby towns. Students also visit the area to identify these plants and make herbarium specimens. In view of the importance for medicinal plants, it has been suggested that the forest of the fort area be declared a Conservation Centre for Medicinal Plants.

This place is also called AARAM – GIRI (Hill of rest or leisure). There are many important sites on the hill fort right from the mythological places to the recently constructed places by the Kings who ruled the place.

(1) RAMA STHAPITA LINGAM : The Shiva Lingam which was installed by Lord Rama for his prayers.

(2) Foot Prints of Lord Rama & Janaki Mata : On the small hillock, you can see the impressions of the steps, which the local people consider to be those of Lord Rama & Sita.

(3) SITAMMA KOLANU : This is a small pond on the hillock which is considered to be the pond which was built for Sita’s use.

(4) Pits for PASUPU KUMKUMA of Sitamma : These are the small depressions or shallow pits for storing Sitamma’s saffron and turmeric.

(5) SITA RAMALAYAM : A Temple dedicated to Lord Rama & Sita.

The recent historical structures which are still present and whose authenticity can be verified are : Ruined walls, buildings, bastions, mosques, tombs. PRATAPARUDRUNI KOTA, Horse stable and Elephant shed, the prison, a huge dining hall, secret passages, narrow paths, guns, cannons, cannon balls. The ruins of CHITRAKOTA, TRATIKOTA, NIMMAKOTA, ammunition rooms.

There are many wells in this place, which have been built by successive Rulers at different times.



Traces of Early Stone Age at Ramagiri Fort
Traces of the Early Stone Age, including a stone structure resembling a stadium, have been found in the historic Ramagiri Fort in Karimnagar district, noted historian Divyanapalli Satyanarayana has claimed. 

The stadium of 40 metres high and 50 metres in diameter had only one entrance. He says rain water used to enter the stadium from only one side which was identified as 'Pandava Lanka'. The stadium was built in such a way that a person entering it could not see those on the top but those sitting on the top portion could view the person. 

Satyanarayana claimed that the Fort existed during the reign of the Pandavas, quoting local residents. Drawings, paintings and giant caves in the Fort showed that people had built houses and lived there. People also resided in natural caves which existed around the stadium. These people while relaxing drew images giving shape to their imagination. However, 90 per cent of these drawings were damaged. The remaining 10 per cent threw light on the people's style of living. He said the Pandava Lanka area reflected the red and white drawings drawn by the residents. 

A Siva temple and an idol of Lord Hanuman adjacent to the temple have also been shown in the drawings. He claimed that local residents had wiped out the early stone drawings and replaced them with those of the Pandavas, Droupadi, Lord Krishna, Garuthmanthudu, Narada and Lord Ganesh. These residents, according to Satyanarayana, while drawing these portraits threw below a high hillock, which still carried the red colour. The hillock was proof that the caves and drawings belonged to the Early Stone Age. He asserts that well-known archaeologist V V Krishna Sastri had confirmed that the red and white drawings belonged to the Early Stone Age. The historian has appealed to the State Tourism and Archaeology departments to preserve these Early Stone Age items for the benefit of future generations.

Attractions:

• 12th century fort built on the top of picturesque Ramagiri hillock
• Surrounded by lush green forest which has many medicinal herbs
• Built by Kakatiyas and later went under control of Golconda rulers
• Shiva Lingam and Sita Rama temple
• Foot print of lord Rama and Sita
• Sita Rama kolanu (pool)
• pits where Sita stored vermillion and turmeric
• Sita Rama kolanu (pool)
• Waterfalls in rainy season
• Ruined mosques, tombs and wells
• Horse stable and Elephant shed
• Prison and royal court



http://m.dailyhunt.in/news/india/english/thehansindia-epaper-hans/traces+of+early+stone+age+at+ramagiri+fort-newsid-36751512

http://www.greaterkarimnagar.com/en/ramagiri-fort-ramagiri-hills-karimnagar-telephone-email-address-reviews

http://www.ghatroads.in/south-india-travel/historical-tourism-info/ramagiri

https://speakzeasy.wordpress.com/2015/08/28/ramagiri-killa/






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kakatiya Dynasty

895 AD / 1136 AD - 1323 AD Founder : Venna Capitals : Hanumakonda, Warangal Languages : Telugu Religion : Jainism, Hinduism (Saivism) Royal Emblem : Garuda, Varaha Kakatiyas are descendants of Karikala Chola King of Durjaya clan, who initially started as vassals of the Chalukyas in India, and later emerged as a ruling dynasty, with their capital at Kakatipura (probably named after the village diety, Kakatamma) or present day Warangal, in the state of Telangana, India. Kakatiyas were the devotees of Goddess Kakati. They were said to originate from Chaturthakula and they allied themselves by matrimony to chiefs of the Shudra caste, although in many documents related to gifts given in the Brahmins, their ancestry has been traced to the Solar dynasty of the Ikshvaku kshatriyas. The Kakatiya period was rightly called the brightest period of the Telugu history. The entire Telugu speaking area was under the kings who spoke Telugu and encouraged Telugu. They establish

Krishna River

Origin    : Mahabaleswar (Western Ghats), Mahasrashtra. Length    : 1400 km (870 mi) Drainage  :  258948 km    Elevation :  1,337 m (4,386 ft) Outflow   : Bay of Bengal States    : Maharashtra (305), Karnataka (483), Telangana - 416 and Andhra Pradesh - 485(612). The River Krishna forms border between the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh from Srisailam to Pulichintala for about 290 kms flows passing through NSP Dam Telangana Length    : 416 km Start     :  Krishna Village in Maganoor mandal, Narayanpet district. End       :  Vajinepally , Nalgonda. Districts : Mahabubnagar ( 300 km) , Nalgonda (116 km) The Krishna River is the fourth-biggest river in terms of water inflows and river basin area in India, after the Ganga, Godavari and Brahmaputra.  It flows east to Wai and then in a generally southeasterly direction past Sangli to the border of Karnataka state. There the river turns east and flows in an irregular course across north-central Karnataka and then to the s

Telangana Literature

The earliest known Literature of Telangana is around 940 AD during the rule of  Chalukyas of Vemulvada who patronized Sanskrit, Kannada and Telugu.  575 A.D - The Kalamalla inscription unearthed on the premises of Chennakesava-Siddeshwara temple at Kalamalla village in Yerraguntla Mandal Kadapa district A.P. is considered to be the first one written entirely in the Telugu language and put up by Renati Chola King Erikal Mutthuraju. 10th Century Adi Kavi Pampa (902 A.D - 975 A.D)   was court poet of Arikesari II (930 - 955 AD).  The Chalukya King of Vemulawada, Arikesari-II asks Pampa to write an epic to immortalize him. Pampa takes up the work with utmost earnestness. Within one year, he creates Kannada’s greatest epic ‘Vikramarjuna Vijaya aka ‘Pampa Bharatha. Arikesari-II is greatly pleased with the work of Pampa. He bestows him with an honorific ‘Kavithagunarnava’ and also gifts him with an agrahara called Dharmapura.  Pampa’s samadhi (grave) was discovered in 1970 in the town of

Kuravi Veerabhadra Swamy Temple

Historic Sri Veerabhadra Swamy temple is in the Kuravi mandal of the Mahabubabad district in Telangana State, India. This temple is dedicated to Lord Veerabhadra swamy,who is fierce looking Diety with three eyes and ten hands. According to local lore, the Kuravi Veerabhadra Swamy temple was said to have been built during 900 AD by Bheema Raju of Vengi Chalukya dynasty. Later the renovation of temple was taken up by Kakatiya ruler Betharaju I. The reference of this temple has also made by the famous traveller ‘Marko-Poli’ as it stood as the capital of Vengi Chalukya Dynasty. As Kakatiya kings were known to be followers of Lord Shiva, they constructed several temples across the empire and improved those already existed.

Vykuntapuram Temple (Sangareddy)

Located in Sangareddy. Pilgrims from different regions do come here for darshan of Sri Srimannarayana swamy ( Lord Venkateshwara). The Ambiance in the temple makes you to feel like you are in thirupathi temple. The Idol of Lord Venkateshwara swamy is similar to the one in thirumala with 3 muka dhwaras. Especially during Saturdays, Public holidays , and on festivals days will be fully packed with the public who come for darshan. One must visit the temple for its beautiful and peacefull ambiance when you come across this sangareddy city. JAI SRIMANARAYANA CHARITABLE TRUST Sri Vaikuntapuram Sangareddy shivaru, Medak Telangana-502001 Phone:  08455-275555, 201080 Cell:  +91 8125615558 http://svpd-srd.org/gallery/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangareddi