Skip to main content

Nizamabad Museum

The District Archaeological museum in Nizamabad was established in Nizamabad’s Tilak Garden, which was originally constructed in 1936 by VIIth Nizam, Mir Osman Ali Khan. The District Archaeological Museum was officially opened to the public in October, 2001. It exhibits a wide variety of artefacts and antiquities that represents the evolution of human civilization right from Paleolithic era to Vijayanagara times (16th Century A.D.).

The District Archaeological museum in Nizamabad is broadly classified into three sections namely 

  • Archaeological section
  • Sculptural gallery, and 
  • Bronze and decorative gallery

Archaeological section 

The Archaeological section mainly includes tools of Paleolithic, Neolithic as well as late stone age times, (Microlithic) from 50000 to 5000 B.C. and also the megalithic pottery and iron implements from 1000 B.C. to the 3rd century B.C. The museum displays early historic and cultural material of the Satavahana times such as pottery, Iron implements, bangle pieces, beads, terracotta and bricks dating back from 2nd Century BC to 2nd Century AD. The Coins housed in the Museum are of punch marked varieties (3rd - 4th Century BC to the British period). A hoard of Vijayanagara era’s Gold coins unearthed at Bodhan is displayed here. 
The collection includes coins of Satavahana dynasty, Vishnukundins, Kakatiyas, Ikshvakus, Qutub Shahi dynasty, Vijayanagara, British period etc., along with a Quran Sharif of medieval period. A chart which shows the evolution of Telugu script from the 3rd century B.C. until 16th century A.D can also be seen here.

Sculptural gallery 

This gallery includes sculptures from different Dynasties such as Chalukya dynasty, Kakatiya dynasty, Rashtrakutas, and also the Vijayanagar kingdom (16th & 17th Century AD). The important sculptures here includes Jaina, Ganesha, Parsvanath, Veerabhadra, Chamundi, Secular, Hero Stones, Sculptures, a Sculptural Panel depicting Ganga, Yamuna, Saraswathi and Chennakesava,. A finely carved Door Jamb that was made of Red sand stone, from Vijayanagar dynasty is erected here in front of the Museum.

Bronze and Decorative gallery 

The Bronze and Decorative section at the museum includes Bronze articles from different periods ranging from Chalukyas to Vijayanagara times. Decorative Arts constitute Bidiriware, porcelain and enamel ware. The important objects on display here are Arms and Armour, including swords of different types with gold inlay work, chest plates, shields, curved swords, arrows, daggers etc. from Qutb Shahi and Asif Jahi periods. The paintings on display are miniature paintings of medieval period and contemporary period. 

Bidriware Collection 

Bidriware derives its name from the old town of Bidar. The bidri articles that are displayed here in the Museum are Huqqahas, Pandan, Spittons, Flower vases, Betel Nut Boxes etc. and other items. Most of these artefacts were brought from Hyderabad by the Department of Archaeology & Museum. 

Arms & Weapons Section 

Several armour varieties of ancient world are displayed here such as the Roman, Persian, Russian and Indian Armies of medieval period. These include Persian Indian swords, lances, spears, daggers, chest plates, suns and arrows with damascening ( with an inlay of gold work) workmanship, offensive weapons such as the lances, spears, the axes and heavy swords accompanying double edged flat blades. The weapons were reportedly used by the Nawabs of Golconda during the medieval period. Coins, Manuscripts such as the Holy Quran, Pre-history objects, Stone Sculptures of Early history, Modern Paintings and Miniature painting are also part of the impressive display in the Museum at Nizamabad. 

How to Reach

The District Heritage, Archaeological Museum in Nizamabad is located in Tilak Garden, very near to the Bus stand and Railway Station. Nizamabad can be reached by road from Hyderabad, nearly 175 km away. 


Tilak Garden, Nizamabad

Visitor Facilities

Clean drinking water and rest rooms are available. Seating arrangements have been provided in the garden. A Companion Guide to the Museum is also available.
Timings : 10.30 AM to 5 PM. Closed on Fridays and Public Holidays.


Popular posts from this blog

Krishna River

Origin    : Mahabaleswar (Western Ghats), Mahasrashtra. Length    : 1400 km (870 mi) Drainage  :  258948 km    Elevation :  1,337 m (4,386 ft) Outflow   : Bay of Bengal States    : Maharashtra (305), Karnataka (483), Telangana - 416 and Andhra Pradesh - 485(612). The River Krishna forms border between the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh from Srisailam to Pulichintala for about 290 kms flows passing through NSP Dam Telangana Length    : 416 km Start     :  Krishna Village in Maganoor mandal, Narayanpet district. End       :  Vajinepally , Nalgonda. Districts : Mahabubnagar ( 300 km) , Nalgonda (116 km) The Krishna River is the fourth-biggest river in terms of water inflows and river basin area in India, after the Ganga, Godavari and Brahmaputra.  It flows east to Wai and then in a generally southeasterly direction past Sangli to the border of Karnataka state. There the river turns east and flows in an irregular course across north-central Karnataka and then to the s

Kakatiya Dynasty

895 AD / 1136 AD - 1323 AD Founder : Venna Capitals : Hanumakonda, Warangal Languages : Telugu Religion : Jainism, Hinduism (Saivism) Royal Emblem : Garuda, Varaha Kakatiyas are descendants of Karikala Chola King of Durjaya clan, who initially started as vassals of the Chalukyas in India, and later emerged as a ruling dynasty, with their capital at Kakatipura (probably named after the village diety, Kakatamma) or present day Warangal, in the state of Telangana, India. Kakatiyas were the devotees of Goddess Kakati. They were said to originate from Chaturthakula and they allied themselves by matrimony to chiefs of the Shudra caste, although in many documents related to gifts given in the Brahmins, their ancestry has been traced to the Solar dynasty of the Ikshvaku kshatriyas. The Kakatiya period was rightly called the brightest period of the Telugu history. The entire Telugu speaking area was under the kings who spoke Telugu and encouraged Telugu. They establish

Telangana Literature

The earliest known Literature of Telangana is around 940 AD during the rule of  Chalukyas of Vemulvada who patronized Sanskrit, Kannada and Telugu.  575 A.D - The Kalamalla inscription unearthed on the premises of Chennakesava-Siddeshwara temple at Kalamalla village in Yerraguntla Mandal Kadapa district A.P. is considered to be the first one written entirely in the Telugu language and put up by Renati Chola King Erikal Mutthuraju. 10th Century Adi Kavi Pampa (902 A.D - 975 A.D)   was court poet of Arikesari II (930 - 955 AD).  The Chalukya King of Vemulawada, Arikesari-II asks Pampa to write an epic to immortalize him. Pampa takes up the work with utmost earnestness. Within one year, he creates Kannada’s greatest epic ‘Vikramarjuna Vijaya aka ‘Pampa Bharatha. Arikesari-II is greatly pleased with the work of Pampa. He bestows him with an honorific ‘Kavithagunarnava’ and also gifts him with an agrahara called Dharmapura.  Pampa’s samadhi (grave) was discovered in 1970 in the town of

Rani Rudramadevi

Kakatiya Dynasty Name : Rudrama Devi Born : c.1225 AD Died : Nov 27, 1289 AD.  Kakatiya Ruler : 25 March 1261 AD - Nov 27, 1289 AD Spouse : Chalukya Veerabhadra  Children :  Mummadamba, Ruyamma and Rudrama Sister : Ganapamba married Beta of the Kota family Parents : Ganapatideva & Somamba Important People :  The important people in her life were Shivadesikulu, a minister who served the dynasty, and Annamambikadevi, the wife of Gona Ganna Reddy. Ganapatideva had two daughters Rudramadevi and Ganapamadevi. Rudramadevi or Rudramba was given in marriage to a prince of the Eastern Chalukyan lineage (of Nidadavolu) called Virabhadra. The second daughter was given in marriage to Beta of the Kota family. Rani Rudrama Devi (c.1225 – Nov 27 1289), or Rudradeva Maharaja, sometimes spelled Rudhramadevi / Rudramamba, was a ruler of the Kakatiya dynasty from 1261 - 1289 in the Deccan Plateau and one of the few ruling queens in Indian history. Rudrama Devi was known as Rudramma at birth. Her fath

Telangana Rivers

Telangana has 2 main rivers Godavari and Krishna. Godavari River  - The river is also known as Dakshin Ganga and Gautami.  Origin : Western Ghats at Triambak near Nasik in Maharashtra Elevation : 1067 meters Length : 1,465 km (910 mi) Drainage : 312812 km Outflow : Bay of Bengal States : Maharashtra, Telangana, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, Puducherry (Yanam) and Telangana Length in Telangana : 600 km Start : Basar in the Nirmal district End : Bhadrachalam in Bhadradri Kothagudem district Districts : Nirmal, Nizamabad, Jagtial, Mancherial, Jayashankar Bhupalpally, Mahabubabad, Bhadradri Kothagudem The Godavari River is the second longest river in India after the river Ganges and the largest in Peninsular India.   Tributaries in Telangana Gollavagu,  Gundlavagu, Indravti, Kadem, Karanja, Kinnerasani, Laknavaram, Malluruvagu, Maner or Manair, Manjira, Murredu, Modikuntavagu, Palemvagu, Palleru, Peddavagu, Pranahitha, Ralivagu, Ramadugu, Taliperu, Suddhavagu, Swarna Manjira River tribut