Domakonda Samsthanam and Fort

The Domakonda Fort located in Kamareddy, about 116 km, has been conferred the UNESCO Asia – Pacific Award for Cultural Heritage Conservation – Award of Merit for 2022. Raja Rajeshwara Rao I built the Domakonda fort in 1786 AD at a site where a fort existed earlier. Initially Constructed by Rashtrakuta kings around 10th Century.

Domakonda Samsthan was part of Nizamabad. Initially it called as Bikkavolu Samsthan.

The rulers of the Samsthan were Pakanati Reddis, close relatives of Gadwal and Atmakur rulers. As they belonged to Kaminedu dynastry, they were called as Kamineni. Rachulla was their Gotra. Bikkavolu Siddarameshwara was their presiding deity.

The fort was constructed on a circular plan and has two ways to enter one on the east and other on the west and there are four bastions in four directions. Two places and one temple complex are situated in the fort. Domakonda fort is an instance of architecture for defence against external invaders. 

Located 4kms from NH 44 and 10 kms from Kamareddy.

The fort was controlled by Chalukyas of Kalyani and the Kakatiyas.

Lakshmipathi works: Sri Krishna Vilasam, Acharya Vijayam, Sri Madhupakyonam, Neela Vivaham.

Adipudi Prabhakara kavi: He worte Umapaabhyudayam on the directions of Domakonda ruler. It had 286 writing and verse. Kamineni tradition history was composed in.

Seshadri Ramana Kavulu and Domakonda court poet Pedda Mandadi Venkata Krishna Kavi composed Reddy Kula Nirnaya Chandrika.

753 AD - 973 AD : Rashtrakuta Dynasty
Initially Constructed by Rashtrakuta kings around 10th Century.

973 AD - 1158 AD : Western Chalukyas
Sri Mahadeva temple present inside the fort was constructed by Western Chalukyas as Vaishnav temple. It was later transformed to Shiva temple by Kakatiya rulers.

c.895 AD - 1323 AD : Kakatiya Dynasty

1636 AD : Raja Kama Reddy or Kamineni Chaudary
In AD 1636, Kama Reddy got Domakonda Samsthan as Sanad from Golconda Rulers.
Pattametta Somanatha Somayaji was court poet of Kamareddy. His compositions were Sootasamhita, Brahmottara Khandam, Vishista Andhrokti.

Kamineni Malla Reddy
Malla Reddy was a great devotee. Many villages were build on his name- Yella Reddy, Macha Reddy, Kamareddy, Jangampalli
Padma Puranam and Shiva Dharmotharam

Yella Reddy

China Kamireddy, Son of Yella Reddy 
had a title Deshmukh.

Potha Reddy
had the title Desai.

1748 AD - 1757 AD : Rajanna Choudary
Rajanna Chowdhary has shifted the capital from Bikkavolu to Kamareddypeta.

1786 - 1947 AD : the Kamineni rulers ruled from this fort.

Domakonda was a samsthan under the Qutub shahis and Asif Jahis.

1786 AD : Raja Rajeshwara Rao I
Built Domakonda fort in the 18th century at a sight where a fort existed earlier. Shifted capital from Kamareddy to Domakonda in 1786 AD. From then it came to be known as Domakonda Samsthan.

Employed Arab and African Guards for Security.

Raja Ramachandra Rao (Brother)

Raja Rajeshwara Rao III

Raja Umapati 

1927 AD : Raja Ramachandra Rao, son of Raja Umapati 
was the leader of Domakonda amid 1927 married the daughter of Gadwal Ruler

Raja Someshwar Rao
Raja Someswar Rao of Domakonda proposed the toast of H. M. the King Emperor and the Nizam
The last leader of the Samsthan was Raja Someshwara Rao.

Anna Reddy

Omapathi or Umapathi Rao IAS (15th June 1928 to 27th May 2020)
K. Umapathy Rao of The Erstwhile Samasthan of Domakonda
An Urdu Poet know for his Shayari & the first Executive Officer of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam
Former IAS officer Kamineni Umapathi Rao's funeral was conducted on Sunday in Laxmi Bhag in Domakonda fort.

It may be noted here that there is a property dispute between Anil's father Umapathy Rao, retired IAS officer, K Rajeshwara Rao and K Satyarayanarao moving to court.

The entrance to the fort has an arched gateway reflect­ing Asaf Jahis influence. The fort has bastions both square as well as circular, built at irregular intervals. Inside the fort are two palaces and a temple complex. The temple dedicated to Shiva was built on stellate plan, imitating the Kakatiya style of architecture. This fort is an example of the defence architecture of the princely states of Telangana.

It has an elevated compound of granite rocks that forms the fort wall, followed by a wooden door on an entrance door to the beautiful two-storied fort structure, which consists of great stuccowork and is considered eye catchy even to this day.This fort is also called "Gadi Domakonda" or "Killa Domakonda" as it houses a palatial mahal inside and popularly called "Addhala Meda" (Glass house)

The Kaminenis built majestic palaces and temples for Lord Mahadeva. The castle with the fortification wall has withstood ravages – manmade as well as natural, and is considered symbolic of erstwhile rulers of the region. Locals throng here to observe on festive occasions with gaiety.