Skip to main content

St Joseph's Cathedral, Hyderabad


St Joseph's Cathedral is a Roman Catholic Cathedral located at Gunfoundry, north of Abids and King Kothi, in  Hyderabad, Telangana State, India.

It is the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Hyderabad and one of the most beautiful churches of Hyderabad and Secunderabad cities of Telangana, India.

Established in 1820 AD, the construction of the present structure began in 1869 when Fr. Antonio Tagliabue of the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions (PIME) bought an extensive plot of land near Chaderghat, in what is now called Gunfoundry(so named for the ammunition centre built there by the Nizam of Hyderabad), to build a school, a church and a convent. Msgr. Pietro Caprotti (Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions), laid its foundation on 18 March 1870, the eve of the Solemnity of St. Joseph. Fr. Luigi Malberti (Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions), took charge in 1872 and completed the main building, which was consecrated and opened for divine worship on Christmas Eve of 1875.

Hyderabad was made a separate diocese in 1886 AD, and in a consistory held in 1887, Pope Leo XIII declared St. Joseph's as the Cathedral of the diocese. It was elevated as a 'Metropolitan See' archdiocese in 1953.

The facade and the bell towers were completed in 1891. The huge bells, imported from Italy, were installed in 1892 AD. The bells are tuned in such a fashion that many hymns can be played on different themes is a donkey . 

The centre hall is very big and hence it can accommodate about 500 people at a time for prayers. In the main alcove inside the church, there is an imitation of the famous Pietà by Michelangelo.

Extensive renovation work was performed on the roof and interior of the structure between 2004 and 2008, making it necessary at one point for Mass to be held in the newly constructed multipurpose hall on the cathedral grounds. 
A beautiful 6-foot-high (1.8 m) granite wainscot has been added to the cathedral sanctuary walls and column bases, and new granite flooring has been added throughout, as well as a new roof, new lighting and electrical fixtures.

 Much of the artwork, including the beautifully carved marble side altars and marble statues of Mary and St Anthony, an antique European oil painting of the Blessed Mother and Christ Child which was gifted to the cathedral by one of the Nizams, an antique set of the Stations of the Cross in high bas-relief made by European craftsmen, and various other statues, were cleaned and restored at this time. In December 2007, the cathedral was re-opened for the celebration of Holy Mass during the Christmas celebrations. 

Extensive construction on the grounds, including the grand entrance stairway from the street to the cathedral, and a large terrace with a multipurpose hall below, was begun in 2001 under the administration of then parish priest, Rev. Fr. T. Lourdu. The renovation was completed during the tenure of Rev. Fr. C Arogyam.

Timings and other details:

Daily
• 6:00 am (English)
• 6:00 pm (English)

Sundays:
• 6:30 am (English)
• 8:00 am (English)
• 9:15 am (Telugu)
• 6:00 pm (English)

Christmas and Easter
• 6:30 am (English)
• 8:00 am (English)
• 9:15 am (Telugu)

Source
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Joseph's_Cathedral,_Hyderabad
http://www.journeyplanner.co.in/tour/st-josephs-cathedral/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kakatiya Dynasty

895 AD / 1136 AD - 1323 AD Founder : Venna Capitals : Hanumakonda, Warangal Languages : Telugu Religion : Jainism, Hinduism (Saivism) Royal Emblem : Garuda, Varaha Kakatiyas are descendants of Karikala Chola King of Durjaya clan, who initially started as vassals of the Chalukyas in India, and later emerged as a ruling dynasty, with their capital at Kakatipura (probably named after the village diety, Kakatamma) or present day Warangal, in the state of Telangana, India. Kakatiyas were the devotees of Goddess Kakati. They were said to originate from Chaturthakula and they allied themselves by matrimony to chiefs of the Shudra caste, although in many documents related to gifts given in the Brahmins, their ancestry has been traced to the Solar dynasty of the Ikshvaku kshatriyas. The Kakatiya period was rightly called the brightest period of the Telugu history. The entire Telugu speaking area was under the kings who spoke Telugu and encouraged Telugu. They establish

Krishna River

Origin    : Mahabaleswar (Western Ghats), Mahasrashtra. Length    : 1400 km (870 mi) Drainage  :  258948 km    Elevation :  1,337 m (4,386 ft) Outflow   : Bay of Bengal States    : Maharashtra (305), Karnataka (483), Telangana - 416 and Andhra Pradesh - 485(612). The River Krishna forms border between the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh from Srisailam to Pulichintala for about 290 kms flows passing through NSP Dam Telangana Length    : 416 km Start     :  Krishna Village in Maganoor mandal, Narayanpet district. End       :  Vajinepally , Nalgonda. Districts : Mahabubnagar ( 300 km) , Nalgonda (116 km) The Krishna River is the fourth-biggest river in terms of water inflows and river basin area in India, after the Ganga, Godavari and Brahmaputra.  It flows east to Wai and then in a generally southeasterly direction past Sangli to the border of Karnataka state. There the river turns east and flows in an irregular course across north-central Karnataka and then to the s

Telangana Literature

The earliest known Literature of Telangana is around 940 AD during the rule of  Chalukyas of Vemulvada who patronized Sanskrit, Kannada and Telugu.  575 A.D - The Kalamalla inscription unearthed on the premises of Chennakesava-Siddeshwara temple at Kalamalla village in Yerraguntla Mandal Kadapa district A.P. is considered to be the first one written entirely in the Telugu language and put up by Renati Chola King Erikal Mutthuraju. 10th Century Adi Kavi Pampa (902 A.D - 975 A.D)   was court poet of Arikesari II (930 - 955 AD).  The Chalukya King of Vemulawada, Arikesari-II asks Pampa to write an epic to immortalize him. Pampa takes up the work with utmost earnestness. Within one year, he creates Kannada’s greatest epic ‘Vikramarjuna Vijaya aka ‘Pampa Bharatha. Arikesari-II is greatly pleased with the work of Pampa. He bestows him with an honorific ‘Kavithagunarnava’ and also gifts him with an agrahara called Dharmapura.  Pampa’s samadhi (grave) was discovered in 1970 in the town of

Kuravi Veerabhadra Swamy Temple

Historic Sri Veerabhadra Swamy temple is in the Kuravi mandal of the Mahabubabad district in Telangana State, India. This temple is dedicated to Lord Veerabhadra swamy,who is fierce looking Diety with three eyes and ten hands. According to local lore, the Kuravi Veerabhadra Swamy temple was said to have been built during 900 AD by Bheema Raju of Vengi Chalukya dynasty. Later the renovation of temple was taken up by Kakatiya ruler Betharaju I. The reference of this temple has also made by the famous traveller ‘Marko-Poli’ as it stood as the capital of Vengi Chalukya Dynasty. As Kakatiya kings were known to be followers of Lord Shiva, they constructed several temples across the empire and improved those already existed.

Vykuntapuram Temple (Sangareddy)

Located in Sangareddy. Pilgrims from different regions do come here for darshan of Sri Srimannarayana swamy ( Lord Venkateshwara). The Ambiance in the temple makes you to feel like you are in thirupathi temple. The Idol of Lord Venkateshwara swamy is similar to the one in thirumala with 3 muka dhwaras. Especially during Saturdays, Public holidays , and on festivals days will be fully packed with the public who come for darshan. One must visit the temple for its beautiful and peacefull ambiance when you come across this sangareddy city. JAI SRIMANARAYANA CHARITABLE TRUST Sri Vaikuntapuram Sangareddy shivaru, Medak Telangana-502001 Phone:  08455-275555, 201080 Cell:  +91 8125615558 http://svpd-srd.org/gallery/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangareddi