Skip to main content

Bhuvanagiri or Bhongir Fort


Bhuvanagiri, popularly known as ‘ Bhongir ‘ stands tall at 609 metrs above sea level. An isolated monolithic rock which has a uniquely egg-shaped hump. There is a fort with two-entry points and protected by huge rocks.


Bhongir Fort was built by the Western Chalukya ruler, Tri-bhuvana-malla Vikramaditya VI in 10th century on a single rocky hill in Bhongir with a single monolithic rock and was named as Tribhuvanagiri. But later the name was modified into Bhuvanagiri and now presently called as Bhongir. It is about 48 kilometres from Hyderabad and located in Nalgonda district. The fort is spread over 40 acres of land and is 500 feet high on a hill. Bhongir is famous for its Beetle Leaves, Pottery and textiles.

Talking about the fort, it has a unique egg-shaped construction with heavy rocks covering the two entry points where the soldiers were always ready to attack when enemy invades. A moat encircles the fort and the palace itself has a huge underground chamber, an armoury, stables, and trap doors, among others. These all can be viewed until today which grasps the visitor attention. The old steps from bottom to top of the hill are not damaged and can have thrilling experience by climbing this hill and even can have excellent view of the surrounding areas from top of the hill. There is Hanuman Temple as well as ponds on the hill. There is a talk from past that it has an underground way to the Golconda Fort which is not proved until now.

Bhongir Fort was attacked by many kings but they were unable to claim the fort, but it was finally conquered by the Bahmani Sultans in 15th century with the help of gunpowder, cannons. They modified the fort into Islamic style and were hosted by local governor and made a prison for Qutub Shahi throne pretenders. As the ages are passing the fort just lost its significance and got damaged which was not renovated since 18th century and is still in the same manner until now.The fort was built in the 10th century by the Western Chalukya Ruler Tribhuvanamalla Vikramaditya VI in the year 1076 AD. It was thus named as Tribhuvanagiri and as time passed by its name was transformed as ‘ Bhongir ‘ as called in the present.

The splendid fort on the awe-inspiring rock, the stone boundary wall, the steps through the granite archways and the crumbling stucco ruins of that age still adorns the place. The aesthetically fortified courtsand thier ruins still intact prove that they have stood the ravages of time.

During the 15th Century the fort was ceded to the bahamani sultans and later taken over by The Qutb Shahis

They used the fort as a penitentiary for those who aspired to filch their throne.



Rock Climbing School

Rock Climbing School, Bhongir established by Telangana Tourism, Govt of Telangana in association with Transcend Adventure at Bhongir, Nalgonda district, Telangana.

It was inaugurated on 6th September 2013 by Principal Secretary, Department of Tourism in presence of officials from Tourism and Archeology departments.

The specially designed courses are not only helping in developing all round personality but also increase initiative and risk taking capacity and encourage critical thinking.

Rock Climbing School, Bhongir provides innovative technical and educational content to all levels of climbing community and teaches best practices of climbing that improve the safety.

Training at Rock Climbing School, Bhongir will help to refine one’s traditional climbing skills through extensive hands-on field work and supervised structured practice.



http://www.telanganatourism.gov.in/partials/destinations/adventure-journeys/nalgonda/bhongir-adventure.html

http://www.journeyplanner.co.in/tour/bhongir-fort/#.V2Xgl84-DVo


http://www.transadventures.com/rock-climbing-school-bhongir/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kakatiya Dynasty

895 AD / 1136 AD - 1323 AD Founder : Venna Capitals : Hanumakonda, Warangal Languages : Telugu Religion : Jainism, Hinduism (Saivism) Royal Emblem : Garuda, Varaha Kakatiyas are descendants of Karikala Chola King of Durjaya clan, who initially started as vassals of the Chalukyas in India, and later emerged as a ruling dynasty, with their capital at Kakatipura (probably named after the village diety, Kakatamma) or present day Warangal, in the state of Telangana, India. Kakatiyas were the devotees of Goddess Kakati. They were said to originate from Chaturthakula and they allied themselves by matrimony to chiefs of the Shudra caste, although in many documents related to gifts given in the Brahmins, their ancestry has been traced to the Solar dynasty of the Ikshvaku kshatriyas. The Kakatiya period was rightly called the brightest period of the Telugu history. The entire Telugu speaking area was under the kings who spoke Telugu and encouraged Telugu. They establish

Krishna River

Origin    : Mahabaleswar (Western Ghats), Mahasrashtra. Length    : 1400 km (870 mi) Drainage  :  258948 km    Elevation :  1,337 m (4,386 ft) Outflow   : Bay of Bengal States    : Maharashtra (305), Karnataka (483), Telangana - 416 and Andhra Pradesh - 485(612). The River Krishna forms border between the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh from Srisailam to Pulichintala for about 290 kms flows passing through NSP Dam Telangana Length    : 416 km Start     :  Krishna Village in Maganoor mandal, Narayanpet district. End       :  Vajinepally , Nalgonda. Districts : Mahabubnagar ( 300 km) , Nalgonda (116 km) The Krishna River is the fourth-biggest river in terms of water inflows and river basin area in India, after the Ganga, Godavari and Brahmaputra.  It flows east to Wai and then in a generally southeasterly direction past Sangli to the border of Karnataka state. There the river turns east and flows in an irregular course across north-central Karnataka and then to the s

Telangana Literature

The earliest known Literature of Telangana is around 940 AD during the rule of  Chalukyas of Vemulvada who patronized Sanskrit, Kannada and Telugu.  575 A.D - The Kalamalla inscription unearthed on the premises of Chennakesava-Siddeshwara temple at Kalamalla village in Yerraguntla Mandal Kadapa district A.P. is considered to be the first one written entirely in the Telugu language and put up by Renati Chola King Erikal Mutthuraju. 10th Century Adi Kavi Pampa (902 A.D - 975 A.D)   was court poet of Arikesari II (930 - 955 AD).  The Chalukya King of Vemulawada, Arikesari-II asks Pampa to write an epic to immortalize him. Pampa takes up the work with utmost earnestness. Within one year, he creates Kannada’s greatest epic ‘Vikramarjuna Vijaya aka ‘Pampa Bharatha. Arikesari-II is greatly pleased with the work of Pampa. He bestows him with an honorific ‘Kavithagunarnava’ and also gifts him with an agrahara called Dharmapura.  Pampa’s samadhi (grave) was discovered in 1970 in the town of

Kuravi Veerabhadra Swamy Temple

Historic Sri Veerabhadra Swamy temple is in the Kuravi mandal of the Mahabubabad district in Telangana State, India. This temple is dedicated to Lord Veerabhadra swamy,who is fierce looking Diety with three eyes and ten hands. According to local lore, the Kuravi Veerabhadra Swamy temple was said to have been built during 900 AD by Bheema Raju of Vengi Chalukya dynasty. Later the renovation of temple was taken up by Kakatiya ruler Betharaju I. The reference of this temple has also made by the famous traveller ‘Marko-Poli’ as it stood as the capital of Vengi Chalukya Dynasty. As Kakatiya kings were known to be followers of Lord Shiva, they constructed several temples across the empire and improved those already existed.

Vykuntapuram Temple (Sangareddy)

Located in Sangareddy. Pilgrims from different regions do come here for darshan of Sri Srimannarayana swamy ( Lord Venkateshwara). The Ambiance in the temple makes you to feel like you are in thirupathi temple. The Idol of Lord Venkateshwara swamy is similar to the one in thirumala with 3 muka dhwaras. Especially during Saturdays, Public holidays , and on festivals days will be fully packed with the public who come for darshan. One must visit the temple for its beautiful and peacefull ambiance when you come across this sangareddy city. JAI SRIMANARAYANA CHARITABLE TRUST Sri Vaikuntapuram Sangareddy shivaru, Medak Telangana-502001 Phone:  08455-275555, 201080 Cell:  +91 8125615558 http://svpd-srd.org/gallery/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangareddi